Skills You’ll Learn
Develop & Design the Character Based on these Images and Ideas
Learn how to look for references and draw from there!
Understand the light and shadow theory as well as how it forms
Learn different techniques of how Tpiola render illustration pieces
Learn how to create your own original character with your own style
Character Design 101: Color Rendering & Theory
WHAT IS THIS CLASS ABOUT?
Do you struggle with colors and rendering? I will teach you about form, values, and color to create a semirealistic character with a lot of personalities. Learning about color is very important for developing a unique style and appealing to the public on any social media.
WHO IS THIS CLASS FOR?
This course is for everyone who enjoys digital art but normally feels overwhelmed by the number of tools professional programs have. For those who want to learn how to paint in a simple but convincing way. For those who like semi-realism that is commonly found in videogames.
WHAT WILL THE STUDENTS ACHIEVE?
By the end of the course, you will feel more comfortable with the color wheel, and you will be able to choose the right colors for shading your character. Your digital pieces will have more dimension and depth, which will improve your art greatly.
Sketching a Character and Sharing Coloring Ideas
Colors fundamentals and shading
Rendering and final touches
1. Meet Your Instructor
2. Introduction to the Course
3. Introduction to the Program
All About the Brushes
1. Paint Tool SAI - Introduction
2. Brushes That I Use the Most: The Magic of the Simple Round Brush!
3. Brushes That I Use Less: Fancy Brushes
Create a Character Using Different Inspirations
1. How I Get Inspiration From Photos, Pinterest, Instagram Accounts
2. How to Make Your Own Character Interesting and Appealing
3. Develop & Design the Character Based on Inspiration and Ideas
4. Draw a Character Using References
1. PART I. Color Theory I: Saturation and Value
2. PART II. Color Theory II: Cold and Warm Hues
3. Creating Personality Thorough Colors (Meaning and Sensations Caused by Colors)
1. The Importance of Understanding Forms (Why Lineart Isn't Necessary)
2. Light and Shadow: How They Interact with Form
3. Different Surfaces and Their Reaction to Light
Rendering Part I - Introduction
1. What is Rendering? + Different Approaches to Rendering
2. Difference Between Realism and Semirealism
3. My Own Rendering Technique
4. Trouble Shooting: Common Mistakes that Beginners Make (Don't over do it!)
Rendering Part II - Application
1. Rendering Different Skin Tones
2. Rendering Hair
3. Rendering Clothes
4. Rendering Metals
Develop Your Own Style
1. Improvisation and Photo Studies
2. Developing a Personal Style through Practice
Extra Tips on Rendering
1. Hands! (Give Extra Expression to Your Character)
1. Congratulations on Completing the Course
Hi! My name is Paz Tapiola.
I always loved drawing as a kid, but it was never something serious until the age of 15 when I spent various months in bed due to an injury. During that time, drawing was the only thing I could do.
My passion for it started increasing more and more each day. I started drawing fan arts for my favorite books and, as soon as I could, I bought a digital tablet. Shortly after, I was drawing my own characters and accepting commissions and requests from people on the other side of the globe.
Now, I want to share what I learned during these past few years with the world.