Skills You’ll Learn
Fundamentals of Art
Learn fundamentals of art from anatomy, color, to light & shadow.
Learn how to experiment your drawing and play with it.
Designing Unique Characters
Learn how to design your own unique characters.
Creating Dynamic Illustrations
Learn how to create dynamic illustrations from start to finish.
Reveal All How to Create Creative Character!
Fool around and find out! This course will teach you how to loosen up your approach to art and develop your own unique process. From silhouette and composition, to colors and dynamic poses, I’ll break down how I tackle character design and illustration in detail, step by step.
You’ll learn in depth how to gather references, build a visual library, utilize color theory, and analyze your shortcomings to better realize your creative vision. It’s going to get a little messy, but hey! Art wouldn’t be art without a little chaos.
If you want to learn a new skill, this course is for you!
This class is for anyone who wants to strengthen their fundamentals, widen their technical skillset, and step out of their comfort zone. If you’re looking to shake up your approach to art and learn new skills in the process, this is the course for you!
Now create your own characters and illustrations!
When you’ve completed the course, you will have better understanding of color theory, anatomy, and composition. You’ll be able to analyze art with a critical eye and study in a more efficient manner, which will greatly enhance your understanding of your own strengths and weaknesses. You will also gain the ability to think laterally and loosen up the way you approach drawing to create characters and illustrations unique to you!
1. Meet HEARTMUSH!
2. Introduction to the Course
3. Using Sketchbook
Let's Get Started
1. Setting Up a Digital Canvas
2. Introduction to Layers
3. Experimenting with my Brushes
4. Digital: Organizing Your Files
Let's Warm Up!
1. Fast and Furious Gesture Drawing
2. Shape, Form, and Line of Action
3. Crash Course : The Anatomy of Humans
4. Drawing from Observation : Figure Drawing
5. Exaggeration : Creating Dynamic Poses
1. Crash Course : Light and Shadow
2. Introduction to Color Theory
3. Applying Color & Value
4. Creating a Color Palette
1. Creating an Inspiration Map
2. What’s in a Style? Studying with a Critical Eye
1. Main Quest! Identify and Develop your Character Concepts!
2. Color Blocking and Silhouette: Exploring Character Design
3. Form and Function: Designing to Convey Your Character's Heart (PART I)
4. Form and Function: Designing to Convey Your Character's Heart (PART II)
Let's Character TWO!
1. A full 180º : Finalizing Your Character (PART I)
2. A full 180º : Finalizing your Character (PART II)
3. Drawing Character Expressions
4. About the Little Things : Indulging in the Niceties of Character Design
5. Formatting a Stylish Reference Page
Let's Illustration Making!
1. Getting the Ball Rolling: Thumbnails and Sketching
2. Color, Light, Shadow
3. Pause for Effect : Final Touches
1. Today's Co-ord : Styling Your Character!
2. How to Draw : Sneakers
1. Congratulations on Finishing the Course
Nice to meet you!
My name is Yuyi, but you may also know me as HEARTMUSH. I’m a freelance illustrator who has been drawing for almost a decade. My focus in art is to create eye-catching characters and energetic illustrations that speak to the heart. I also really, really like drawing street fashion and sneakers.
I am initially self taught, and puzzled out ways to improve my art on my own, which led to a lot of trial, errors, more errors, but eventually— success! I’d be ecstatic if you’d let me share what I’ve learned about creating art with you!