1 Class Projects
It takes about 2 hours to complete one class project.
Creating Your Own Board Game: Organizing Rules and Mechanics
Skills You’ll Learn
How to get ideas for board games
How to get ideas for making board games and turn them into games
Board game core mechanics
Understanding the core mechanisms that make up a board game
Board game rules configuration
How to compose and write your own board game rules
About the class
“Anyone can be a board game writer!”
All the know-how of a full-time board game artist in the 10th year of 'From creation to launch'
Are you curious about the know-how of board game writers who make creative and addictive board games? We will reveal the secret notes of board game creation by Gary, a first-generation Korean board game artist who defeated the US and Europe!
PLAY: Understanding 'games' and 'people' which are the basic elements of board game creation
Understand the basic fun of games and learn the characteristics of each genre. If you consider the fun felt by each type of gamer, you can create more engaging board games. The “How to Explain Board Games” course is recommended not only for board game writers but also for all players.
- You can enjoy board games even more through recommended games for each player type and situation.
- You can learn concepts for making board games and frame your creations.
- You can learn the entire process of making a board game and the core know-how within each course.
- You can learn how to monetize the games you create.
- Those who want to enjoy board games in a more fun way
- Those who want to earn a side job by playing board games
- People who like board games and are also interested in making them
- Those who want to launch their own board game and make their debut as a board game writer
2 reasons why this class is special
❶ You can't learn anywhere
The only board game production class in Korea
We will share practical know-how based on the experience of developing more than 80 board games. It covers the entire process of board game creation, from board game development theory to concept derivation using kits, prototyping, and actual production. In addition to making it as a hobby, I'll tell you how to sign a copyright contract with a publisher and how to earn money by producing and publishing your own products.
❷ Board Game Master from concept to launch!
The board game class consists of a total of three sessions.
- 'PLAY': We'll help frame the 'MAKE' process by telling you what you need to know to enjoy board games more and the concepts needed to create board games.
- “MAKE1”: I will tell you about all stages of board game production, such as how ideas are obtained when making board games, what are the core mechanisms that make board games work, and how rules are written based on derived game concepts.
- 'MAKE2': I'll teach you the latter stages of board game production, including how to easily make a board game prototype, how to test it, how to sign a publishing contract, and how to make and release it yourself.
From board game creation to monetization!
Board Game Class Guide (Common)
MAKE 1: 'Idea' while creating a board game
10th year board game writer Kim Kun-hee
I'm Kim Kun-hee, a board game writer. I've loved board games since I was a kid, and I also made it a hobby for my cursor. However, I never thought of working as a board game writer. After living as Kim Sang-jang, an ordinary office worker who had nothing to do with board games, he left the company in his mid-30s and became a full time board game writer. I am thankfully living a happy life by making my favorite board games until today, 10 years after that.
- 2003 ~ CEO of Korea Board Game Developers Association (KBDA)
- 2013- CEO of Gary Kim Games (freelance board game writer)
- 2014-2018 D Cube Academy Board Game Developer Course Lectures
- 2014-2016 Smarteen App Challenge Mobile Game Planning Lecture
- 2018-2019 Attended Gimpo University Game Contents, Introduction to Board Games, and Board Game Producing
- 2021-Krafton Blue Hole Studio Casual Game Advisory
- 2022 ~ Trevalli 'Live Like a Game' club venue
- 2015 Spiel des Jahres Recommended
- 2015 Lys Grand Public Finalist
- 2014 Meeples' Choice Nominee
- 2014 Golden Geek Best Children's Board Game Nomine
The hare and the turtle
- 2015 Origins Awards Best Children's, Family, & Party Game Winner
- 2015 As d'Or - Jeu de l'Année Nominee
- 2014 Golden Geek Best Children's Board Game Winner
- 2014 Tic Trac Nominee
- 2014 Fairplay à la carte Winner
- 2014 As d'Or - Jeu de l'Année Nominee
- I'm a board game writer (2019, Dumpling Games)
- How about a board game? (2004, Hye Jiwon)
Q. What led you to create the class?
There are more and more people enjoying board games in Korea, but there are still very few people who make board games. Over the past 10 years, I've made my own board games, and what I've felt while promoting the work of making them is that anyone can make board games. I hope that more people will enjoy this creative pleasure, that there will be more good works, and that the board game culture in Korea will become more mature. People who were interested in board games through this course not only enjoyed playing board games, but also said, “Why don't I make one too?” I hope it motivates me to do it.
Q. Do you have a story you'd like to tell the students?
Anyone can create and release board games, whether as a hobby or as a side job, even if they aren't a full-time writer. I hope you enjoy the pride and joy of seeing your work come out into the world.
보드게임 작가 김건희 EO인터뷰 보기
보드게임 작가 김건희 EO인터뷰 보기
게임 개발 홈페이지